"We grow the grain, that feeds the hens, that lay the eggs fresh for you."
Meeting customers' changing attitudes and rising expectations.
Here at Bowalley Free Range we have adopted a more sustainable operations model with our eggs being produced in a self-contained, vertically integrated farming system.
Our philosophy as modern farmers aligns strongly with the emerging regenerative agriculture movement, which also reflects our customers' changing values. We are committed to ensuring the sustainable management of our land and that our customers are satisfied with their paddock to plate experience. Circular sustainability is an important part of the Bowalley Free Range story with an emphasis on adopting complementary on-farm practices.
We know that consumers are wanting transparency from their free-range egg producers and to see that there is more being done to look after the land. At Bowalley Free Range, we offer consumers just that by welcoming them into our day-to-day lives through social media (on Facebook and Instagram) and our live video feed.
Here are some practical examples of additional sustainable practices we are committed to at Bowalley Free Range:
- Solar panels provide power to the hen sheds that allow the farm to be off the grid
- The hen sheds are on skids that are moved after each flock rotation to rest the site which reduces the intensity of farming on the land
- Having the grain farm supply Bowalley Free Range hens with feed saves on fuel and transport, reduces the duplication of capital assets and provides land for the hen’s manure to be used as a natural fertiliser which reduces external inputs.
- A natural method of pasture management has been adopted with sheep grazing the range area as a more sustainable method of pasture management
- A HydroDrive irrigation system uses excess water pressure gained to power and move the pivots in the irrigation system which is used for growing the grain for our hens
- Our packaging is kind on the environment as it's made from 100% recycled materials and is compostable